In honor of the Month of the Military Child, view this slideshow of some of my favorite military children and then please share your own pictures in the comments section.
April is the Month of the Military Child, so this week I thought I would provide you with a list of books written specifically for military children. Disclosure: I have not read all of them and I have no affiliation with any of the authors or books.
Here is a list of the books. Buy them wherever you buy your books.
- “I’ll Lend You My Daddy: A Deployment Book for Kids Ages 4-8,” by Becky King and Cynthea Liu
- “Night Catch,” by Brenda Ehrmantraut and Vicki Wehrman
- “Lily Hates Goodbyes (All Military Version),” by Jerilyn Marler and Nathan Stoltenberg
- “I Will Be Okay: Adventures of a Military Kid,” by Amy Schweizer
- “Momma’s Boots,” by Sandra Miller Linhart and Tahna Marie Desmond; and “Daddy’s Boots”
- “When You Are Away” by Dominque James Ed.D
- “I’m A Dandelion: A PCS Story for Military Children,” by Brooke Mahaffey and Lidiia Mariia Nyz
- “Superheroes’ Kids: When Dad is Deployed,” by Heather Carson and Angelica Rose Jacquez
- “Why Do We Have to Move?: A Book for Military Kids,” by Tara Scott
- “Hero Mom,” by Melinda Hardin and Bryan Lando
- “The Adventures of a Military Brat: The Big Move,” by Johanna Gomez and Daniel Gomez
- “On the Month of the Military Child Purple Up!” by Military Child
Some books for older children by “military brats” include:
- “Military Brats: Legacies of Childhood Inside the Fortress,” by Mary Edwards Wertsch
- “Growing Up Military,” by Marc Curtis
- “9 Rules of Engagement: A Military Brat’s Guide to Life and Success,” by Harris Faulkner
- “All You Need Is Love: Memoirs of a Military Brat,” by John Thomas Young
As we celebrate our children and their resilience, this month talk to them about how they feel about being a military child and really listen. The answers might surprise you!
Until next time,
Victoria Terrinoni is the author of “Where You Go, I Will Go: Lessons From a Military Spouse,” available here or by clicking the Shop tab above. Watch for her new book on the Good Chaplain’s Africa deployment coming soon!